Saturday, October 25, 2014

Shred Kelly, Good for Grapes and Larry & his Flask - Live at The Imperial

 


 I think it's safe to say the wood floor of The Imperial has been officially broken in after last nights foot stompin, hand clappin', beer rasin' good time brought to us by three fantastic bands; Shred Kelly, Good for Grapes, and Larry & his Flask. Couldn't have asked for a better way to spend a post midterm Friday night than with good friends and good music. 

Shred Kelly, from Fernie, kicked things off strong with their mind blowing self described "stoke-folk" that sure got the dance floor moving. This was my second time seeing Shred Kelly and I was impressed that they are still such a high energy band. They also played a fantastic new song that was probably the best of their set. A very promising sign of more good things to come from this band.

My anticipation was high for Vancouver's own Good for Grapes, who took the stage next and completely blew me away. They had such a full sound complete with cello, drums, keyboard, trombone, and violin carried by great lead vocals and guitar. All their songs were fantastic and they got the crowd clapping, stomping and singing away. They even played a phenomenal cover of "Seven Nation Army" that slowed things right down before turning the crowd into a mosh pit. I found myself smiling throughout their entire set because I was so just so impressed by their talent, passion and energy. I can see this band going far and I hope they get all the success they deserve. Good for Grapes definitely gained more fans to their already large Vancouver fan base after last night's performance.

Things got crazy when Larry and his Flask finished off the night with their insanely high energy "bluegrass punk". The already amped crowd turned into a massive mosh pit and at one point the drummer crowed surfed from the stage to the bar (where he received a beer) and back. Larry & his flask are a four piece band from Oregon with electric guitar, banjo, drums, and stand-up base. The drummer was awesome and played standing up which was something I've never seen done before. The stand-up base player was crazy. He would pick up the huge instrument and walk/jump around the stage while playing it! Although it was almost too much energy for me, and I am not a big fan of mosh pits, Larry and his Flask was an awesome experience. This was the last night of their tour before they take a year off and work on their next album so they really left everything on the stage. That's one of the nice things about the geographic location of Vancouver is that you get a lot of first and last shows of tours in this city which I think is pretty neat to experience. 

 
Shred Kelly - Cabin Fever

 
 Good For Grapes - Little Carmichael


Larry & His Flask - Call it what you will

No comments:

Post a Comment