Thursday, November 27, 2014

Michael Bernard Fitzgerald - Live at The Vogue Theater


Michael Bernard Fitzgerald sure knows how to put on a show. The Calgary musician played the vogue theater last night and it was unlike anything I've ever seen before. The night started with four openers, all local artists from Vancouver performing songs they'd written in a "songwriter's circle" style explaining the backstories of each song, which I really enjoyed. The last opener were three members of the band Hey Ocean, (who are all currently recording solo albums) and they were all incredibly talented musicians. Michael Bernard Started off the show with a couple of love songs before he was joined by the rest of his band. A few songs later, a Vancouver children's choir and a small orchestra joined the stage. Just when I thought he couldn't possibly fit any more people on the small theater stage, 25 dancers joined the show for last couple of songs. It was absolutely insane. So much going on, but it really brought his music to a whole other level and I enjoyed every minute of it. "Man Overboard" and "Movie Life" were fantastic, but "Brand New Spaces" in the encore was probably my favourite moment with the whole crowd stomp-clapping and with a two minute sax solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment