A surprising thing I learned while traveling though Spain is that Spanish people love blues music (and of course electronic dance music but I'm not going to get into that here). One saturday night in Cadiz we wandered into a bar by the beach and were surprised to see a short spanish man belting out classic American blues songs. We quickly learend that no one in the bar spoke English - and yet they were all singing along to the Elvis and B.B.King covers!
On our firs night in Madrid we were craving some live music so we did a quick google search of the best live music venues in Madrid. A place called El Sol came up and I checked out who was playing there. Go figure it was a blues artist from New Orelans - Luke Winslow King. He didn't seem very big but we liked what we heard on youtube so we checked him out. We got there a little late and to our surprise, the place was absolutely packed! (it was a pretty small venue but still). The crowd was a 50/50 mix of young and older people and everyone was singing along. Luke Winslow King was a great performer and my boyfriend and I really enjoyed the show (although a few songs were a little too country for us). I made a note to check out more of his music when I got home and I have been listening to him quite a bit lately! When I was growing up, my Dad played a lot of blues and seeing Luke made me realize how much I actually enjoy it. It's just so fun and uplifting.

No comments:
Post a Comment