
HOLY SHIT WHAT A FANTASTIC SHOW!!
I first discovered Moonface a couple years ago (back when rdio existed) and I remember coming back to the Julia with Blue Jeans On album again and again and finding Spencer Krug's breathtaking piano ballads to be just what I needed every time. Then I dug a little deeper into Moonface's repertoire and found his 2012 release titled Heartbreaking Bravery which he recorded with this mysterious Siinai band from Finland. This stuff was totally different..heavier and more danceable, but equally fantastic. Then just last year Moonface paired up with Siinai again on their latest "My Best Human Face" which quickly became another favourite of mine.
I had been wanting to see Moonface live for a while now but just assumed I would probably never see him tour with Siinai because they're from Finland but I was wrong! My prayers were answered and Siinai came out for a handful of dates in Western Canada. This was one show I was NOT going to miss. Even it was on a Wednesday night...before a project deadline...and I had no one to go with. Still totally worth it.
They wasted no time with pre-amble and dove into their set with the powerful "Teary Eyes & Bloody Lips". Suddenly all tiredness left my body and I felt incredible joy and gratitude to be there in same room as these talented artists - they were even better live than I thought could be possible.
Not only is Spencer Krug an incredibly talented song writer, he also has an amazing deep voice. What I love best about his singing is the way he has such great command of his vocals and has really honed it into a beautiful instrument. He really gets into the music as well. You can see him feeling it and it someone helps you to feel it more too. Sometimes he would hit a shaker against his chest with one hand while jamming out on the keyboard with his other hand and singing at the same time. He also played some wicked electric guitar for some songs. The musicians in Siinai were also incredibly talented and I especially loved watching their drummer.
They played a lot of songs from their two albums that they recorded together including some of my favourites, "Them Call Themselved Old Punks", "Ugly Flower Pretty Vase", "Quickfire, I tried", and "Risto's Riff". Every song was fantastic but my favourite was probably, "Yesterday's Fire".
The last song of their set was "Lay your cheek on down" which was absolutely epic. Then for their encore they played Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" which they had learned since they were in Canada. I thought it was a pretty great way to end off an amazing night, but I wished they would have played for another hour, or as someone in the crowd shouted when they said they had 2 or 3 more - "how about 60 more!!".
No comments:
Post a Comment