Damn, I haven't posted since 2017. But I can explain - 2018 was insane - I got married, started my own part-time photography business, moved to Edmonton, and became a student again in September.
Musically speaking, 2018 was a rad year. I did not go to as many shows as usual, but listened to so much great new music, and got to see some of my all-time faves live for the first time - like REGINA SPEKTOR and Alvvays.
The Edmonton Folk Music Festival was definitely the musical highlight of my year. This was my first time at the EFMF, as I usually go to the Calgary Folk Fest. It was different, but good in it's own way. It's hard to compete with Prince's Island Park in Calgary which is full of big trees and is right next to the river, but the Edmonton folk fest has the hill, which made for much better viewing on the Main Stage. Seeing Regina Spektor in the pouring rain cuddled under a tarp with my husband was my favourite moment, closely followed by seeing The War & Treaty in the beer gardens while drinking wine from red solo cups (also in the pouring rain). It was also amazing to finally see The Decemberists live on the opening night of the festival with my best friend. Lesser known festival stand outs for me were Alice Pheobe Lou and Tash Sultana.
The year closed out with "An East Coast Christmas with the Barra MacNeils". You may not know this about me, but I absolutely love Celtic music and the fiddle and probably should have been born on the East Coast. My husband loves everything Christmas, especially Christmas carols, so we went to see some Christmas classics performed by the East Coast legends, the Barra MacNeils (along with a few good jigs). We smuggled in a flask of whiskey for a little extra "cheer", and had such a fun time.
Okay, so I've been looking back into all the great music of 2018, and picked six songs from what I consider to be the best albums of the year: Historian by Lucy Dacus, Be The Cowboy by Mitski, Shape of Silence by Saint Sister, More or Less by Dan Mangan, I wasn't only thinking about you by Oh Pep!, and Wanderer by Cat Power.
No comments:
Post a Comment