I am now back in Vancouver for the next 8 months, which is exciting because there are so many great music venues with SO MANY good shows coming up (and not enough money haha).
Owen Pallet played at The Imperial, a new music venue in downtown Vancouver, on September 9th. I had never been to The Imperial before and was pleasantly surprised by how well set up it was for live shows, and even had a fish tank. The only downside is that it's just around the corner from East Hastings, making for a bit of a sketchy endeavor. Fiction in Foxes and Avi Buffalo were the openers. I don't particularly like Avi Buffalo mostly because of his vocals, however they were much better live than recorded and had some great guitar riffs and keyboard. It was hilarious when a lady rushed to the stage after their set shouting, "Owen! Owen! Why didn't you play 'I am not afraid'" to which he replied, "Because I'm not Owen Pallet". How embarrassing eh?! But it was true...they were no Owen Pallet.
I am a huge fan of Owen's music but was completely swept away by his live performance. He began solo with just his keyboard and violin to create the most beautiful music. It was amazing seeing the songs live and seeing how all the different sounds are made and come together with the looping. It was really quite impressive that he was able to keep track of everything while singing too! Song of five & six was probably my favourite from this section. About half way through the set, Owen's band came to join him. They comprised of a base player and an incredibly talented drummer. The bass and drums added even more colour to Owen's looping. 'The Riverbed' was particularly mind melting. I was a bit sad however because he never played 'Man with no ankles' which is by far my favourite Owen Pallet song, and the song I was most excited to hear live. However, he closed the show with 'Lewis takes off his shirt', which is another great song and was a perfect way to end the show. That song was stuck in my head for the remainder of the evening (even after a freaky screaming homeless lady lunged at me on the way to the bus stop).
No comments:
Post a Comment