A few weeks ago I saw Julie Doiron play on a Wednesday night for a small crowd at Broken City. A guy I work with was in a band and knew Julie from years ago and introduced me to her before the show. I'll admit I was pretty starstruck and did the typical fan girl thing of saying how excited I was to see her perform.
The opener was a band from Victoria called Adrian Teacher & The Subs and they were an unexpected surprise. They're music was full of energy and guitar, and Adrian even crowd surfed over the tiny crowd at the end of the set. I found their album Terminal City on Spotify and it quickly became my work commute music. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for a chance to see them again.
Julie delivered some gorgeous moments and some heavier moments speckled with lots of cute stage banter, stories, and advice. My favourite song live was Homeless from her most recent album. She was almost channeling some Chan Marshall at moments of this song. My favourite song of hers is Spill Yer Lungs which I requested, and she almost played it too, but decided not to at the last minute because she didn't write the song and couldn't remember all the lyrics. My friend from work shouted out some requests from her debut record when she was "Broken Girl" to which she responded to by playing "Soon Coming Closer" and it was magical, although she still forgot a few lyrics, but that is the beauty of Julie Doiron, there is nothing rehearsed or staged - it's just her being real.
No comments:
Post a Comment