It's that time of year again where I reflect back on all the new music I listened to this year and pick my favorite albums. This year there was a lot of great music including a new album from Radiohead, Bon Iver, and James Blake, but these weren't necessarily the ones I kept coming back to. Here are my picks for 2016.
1. Lucy Dacus - No Burden
I know I've already blogged about how much I love this debut record from Lucy Dacus so it is not surprise that it is my most listened to album of the year and my number 1. Her beautiful honest voice, heavy guitar, and clever lyrics are everything I could ever want in an album.
2. Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack
So I recently heard a new term for my favourite type of music - sad bastard music. There is no better example of this type of music than Frightened Rabbit's new album Painting of a Panic Attack. It is gorgeous and depressing and makes me want to cry but is also deeply satisfying to me. It is the kind of music I crave and keep going back to - even when I am not feeling sad at all. I guess I just find it comforting. Also, "Otherwise Disappointing Life" might possibly be my favourite song of the year.
3. Angel Olsen - My Woman
Angel Olsen's My Woman comes in at number 3 for me this year. She has packed so much into this record is a treat to listen to. Some of the songs are guitar powerhouses of strength and confidence and some are more stripped down and vulnerable. The result is a really great and fun album that I fall in love with again and again every time I hear it.
4. King Creosote - Astronaut Meets Appleman
King Creosote is a Scottish musician whom I'd never heard of until hearing this album. I haven't listened to any of his other music, but have been obsessed with his "Astronaut Meets Appleman" record for the last part of this year. It is truly a grogeous piece of artwork with a lot of ethereal cosmic sounds that also feels warm and human. This record is one of the more unique pieces of music I've loved this year - full of violins, pagpipes, and even harp.
5. Stadium Cake - Oh Pep!
Oh Pep! are an Australian indie folk duo who I saw perform at the Calgary Folk Fest this summer. They were so incredible and fun live that I bought their record from them after the show. This record quickly became one of my favourites of the year. Their songs are simple and beautiful and bounce around in my mind all day after the album ends and keep a smile on my face. This is probably the most uplifting album on my top 10 list.
6. Band of Horses - Why Are You Ok
This list would not be complete without some good ol' indie rock. Band of Horses' fifth album "Why are you ok" may not be their best album, but it was unique, fun, and apparently something I needed this year because I found I kept going back to it again and again.
7. Mitski - Puberty 2
This year, Mitski became one of my new favourite artists. Her voice is captivating, her lyrics are relatable, and her music is absolutely epic. "Your Best American Girl" has got to be one of the greatest songs of the year. The first part of the song feels like a big inhale preparing for the grand guitar-heavy chorus. I can think of a better way to describe this album than Pitchfork did in their review "Puberty 2 plumbs second-wave emo in the storytelling, wistful
dream-pop to blunt the pain, slow-simmering electronics,
brusquely strummed folk-punk, bits of surf guitar, and plenty of ’60s
pop hooks".
8. Dolls of Highland - Kyle Craft
I'll admit I did not love Kyle Craft's debut record at first because his voice was a little harsh and took a while to get used to. But after a few listens I was obsessed. His songs play out like beautiful heart-felt piano-based ballads. He really does not hold anything back either. He belts out his songs confidently in a manor that reminds me of Freddie Mercury. I always enjoy artists that so things fresh and different and this album is definitely that - but also beautiful and catchy at the same time. I'm also excited to see where Kyle Craft will go.
.....and here is a Spotify playlist of all my favourite songs from 2016
No comments:
Post a Comment