Saturday, August 12, 2017

Shakey Graves - Lives at The Palace Theatre

20170811_224917.jpg
I remember a few years ago, when I was living in Vancouver, Shakey Graves came to town and it sold out before I could get a ticket and I was super devasted. But here we are, three years later and he's playing at The Palace Theatre in Calgary. I knew not to make the same mistake twice and bought tickets right away - sure enough this show sold out too. 

I could not believe how intense the Shakey Graves fans were at this show. There was a girl behind me with the shrilled, highest voice, who screamed almost the entire show. The whole audience just went wild for him - even the guys. It made for a pretty fun show with everyone clapping, stomping, and jumping but I was just expecting something a bit more mellow and was totally surprised. 

He opened with a full band playing Perfect Parts followed by Dearly Departed. After a few with the band he played some solo songs. I must say Shakey Graves is a great performer with great stage presence and banter. He knows how to get the audience engaged and played a well thought out setlist without too many slow songs in a row. My favourite moments of the show were "Family & Genus" and "Roll the Bones". Only complaint would be the vocals were not very sharp, and you couldn't hear his lyrics very well, but oh well i guess you can't have it all. 





No comments:

Post a Comment