
I remember getting Spoon CDs from the library when I was about 15 and thinking it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard. I assumed this band was way too cool to ever come to Calgary but on August 31st...about ten years later I got to see them live at Macewan Hall and I was so happy I danced like a fool the whole time.
Of course I got there shortly after the doors opened to snag a spot front and center. There was only one row of people in front of us! The opener, White Reaper, who I didn't know beforehand, was awesome. They had lots of energy and reminded me of a 90s punk band. My boyfriend really liked em too.
Spoon is now a five piece and they sounded friggin fantastic. Britt's voice sounded even better than the recordings and the sound was mixed perfectly. I loved the keyboard player and also the way Britt plays the guitar. I was reminded during the show just how many great songs Spoon has. Their latest release "Hot Thoughts" is their eight studio album I believe, so they have lots of songs to choose from and each one was amazing. There were probably ten moments so epic they could have been the show closer. They played all my favourites including "I Turn My Camera On", "The Beast, The Dragon Adored", "My Mathematical Mind" (which built to an incredibly epic crescendo), "Don't Make Me a Target", and "Rent I Pay" EXCEPT they never played "The Way We Get By" which I thought they were saving till the end but then it was over and I was a bit devastated because that's probably my all time favourite Spoon song and I was excited to sing all the lyrics but oh well they played every other song I love.
The new songs from Hot Thoughts sounded great - especially "I aint the one" which was amazing live. It started with a long keyboard intro and Britt laying flat on his back singing - very dramatic! It's also cool how the lights add a whole other dimension to the music. Also "hot thoughts" and "first caress" were super fun to dance to.
For their encore, Britt Daniel played "I summon you" solo and this was probably my favourite moment of the show. It was so beautiful and intimate. They ended the show with "Got Nuffin" which is an awesome song that I love and I was singing it all night after the show.
This was one of the greatest shows I've seen for a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment