Thursday, May 19, 2016

Black Mountain: Live @ The Starlight Room in Edmonton


It has been far too long since I have been to a good rock show, so when I saw that Black Mountain were on tour for their new album IV - which is one of my favourite albums of the year so far - I found myself driving to Edmonton for the night to catch them live.

They played at The Starlight Room - a large capacity grungy brick venue with intense security and sweltering heat. I was lucky that I got to see this show with my best friend who now lives in Edmonton! Unfortunately we just missed the opener, Ashley Shadow (Sister of Black Mountain's Amber Webber) but we still were able to snag a spot right up front!

Black Mountain opened their show with the IV album opener - "Mothers of the Sun" which was dark and eerie before erupting into some killer guitar riffs. Amber Webber's voice sounded great and perfectly complemented the music. It was a wonderful start to two hours of phenomenal heavy psychedelic doom rock. They played a lot from the new record which is really synth-y (not sure if that is actually word) and also a lot of heavy hitters from "In the Future". The song that I most enjoyed live was "Defector", with "Stormy High" a close second. I also really loved Webber's slow burning "Line Them All Up" - which is my favourite song on IV. The only songs I love that they didn't play were "Angels" and "Don't Run Our Hearts Around", but I guess you can't always have it all! Also, Stephen McBean's vocals were not quite loud enough, but he made up for it with his incredible guitar skills. They ended their set with "Space to Bakersfield" which was pretty much a 10 minute guitar solo that makes you feel like you are floating around in outerspace. Overall, it was a fantastic show and day in Edmonton with my bestie - well worth the drive!


No comments:

Post a Comment