Friday, May 20, 2016

Fantastic New Music From Old Favourites

This year is turning out to be a fantastic year for music. In the last two months some of my favourite bands have released new albums. I am always a little nervous to first listen to new albums from beloved favourites, but these ones did not disappoint one bit! 


 http://www.theskinny.co.uk/assets/production/000/119/403/119403_original.jpg
 The Scottish indie rock band, Frightened Rabbit, are one of my all time favourite bands. They create beautifully sad and epic music - which is probably my favourite type of music (and also the reason I love The National so much). "Painting of a Panic Attack" is their 5th studio album and I am totally in love in with it. They didn't try going in a new direction or anything here, but rather did what they do best and created an hour of beautiful indie rock music that I will be listening to again and again. 

Favourite Track: An Otherwise Disappointing Life




 https://cdn.srcvinyl.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/c96a280f94e22e3ee3823dd0a1a87606/a/n/andrewb_areyous_coverar_3000dpi300rgb1000182870.jpg 

In other news, the incredibly talented Andrew Bird has a new record out called "Are you Serious". I believe that this is his most accessible record yet as it is a little more "pop-y" and his lyrics are not as cryptic as usual. Andrew's first attempt at a love song is also on this album - a duet with the lovely Fiona Apple. After listening to it a few times I think it is actually becoming my favourite Andrew Bird album. 
Favourite Track: Valleys of the Young. 


 http://exclaim.ca/images/plantswaltz.jpg

Beloved Canadian indie rockers, Plants & Animals, have also released a fantastic new record called "Waltzed in From the Rumbling". This one is best listened to loud with no distractions so that you can take it all in. There are horns and strings and gorgeous builds and moments that make me think of Radiohead. A beautiful record. 
Favourite Track: Je Voulais Te Dire


 http://cdn.pigeonsandplanes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/James-Blake-The-Color-In-Anything-cover.jpg 

Earlier this month, British electronic/r&b/soul/experimental artist James Blake dropped his third, and strongest album yet. It's full of sweeping synths and lovely piano, just oozing heartbreak and best enjoyed on a dark rainy day. The album also features a song with Bon Iver's Justin Vernon. The whole thing is beautiful and I can't wait to listen to it some more. I just love what James Blake is doing with electronic music.  
Favourite Track: Radio Silence

No comments:

Post a Comment